Celebrate a 3nd annual vegan Compassionate ThanksLiving Potluck this year with the Animal Voices radio crew and supporters by partaking in this feast of thanks and bounty. Build community and share delicious nourishment with like-minded people. Socialize with new and old friends over a selection of live musical entertainment. All are welcome to attend!
Date: Monday, October 14th, 2013
Time: 6-8:30pm (doors open at 6, eat at 6:30pm)
Location: Oakridge SDA Hall, 5350 Baillie Street, Vancouver (close to Skytrain & bus routes. Free parking in the back parking lot.)
This is an animal-friendly event, so bring a vegan dish with at least 8 servings (no dairy, eggs, honey, gelatin, whey/casein, or other byproducts). Also, please bring a plate, cup, and cutlery for yourself, and a serving utensil for your dish. (a bag for your dirty dishes would be useful, too) If you’re not a cook or are pressed for time, no worries! Sharing store-bought food or a non-alcoholic drink (juice, non-dairy milk, coconut water, etc.) is fine! Please bring an ingredients list for your dish. There will be a ‘raw’ section on the tables, so raw vegan food is encouraged!
140 people attended each of the last two years, and this year we have a wonderful venue that can accommodate up to 200. It is a family-friendly event, so please bring your loved ones!
We will have live entertainment throughout the event while you eat! We will have 4 musical performers throughout the evening, who will include: Brittney Grabill, Risa, the band Hello Harmless, and Sinéad.
This event will feature a fabulous RAFFLE fundraiser (see list of prizes below!). Please bring some $ for a chance to win some amazing prizes! Tickets will be $1 each or 6 for $5. All proceeds go towards Animal Voices.
We suggest a DONATION of $3 at the door (no one turned away for lack of funds). All profits go towards supporting Animal Voices.
There is a special entrance for wheelchairs leading from the right side of the parking lot straight into the hall. The accessible washroom (doorway measuring 27″ wide) is located one level up. Don’t hesitate to ask a volunteer for any assistance needed.
46 Million Turkeys Project
We are excited to have a craft table at our potluck this year! It will be fun activity for kids and adults! At the table you will have the opportunity to make a turkey either using a potato stamp or drawing it on the paper provided. You do not have to be an artist to participate. The turkeys will be submitted to the 46 Million Turkeys project. They are collecting turkeys to honour each of the 46 million turkeys that are killed at thanksgiving every year in the USA. In Canada a further 3 million are killed during this “holiday”. So come by the table and make as many Turkeys as you can!
Here are the fantastic raffle prizes we will be offering:
- A 2.5 hour nutrition and cooking workshop by FeedLife – $250 value
- Gift certificate for 2 nutrition consultations by vegan Holistic Nutritionist Cynthia Ganatra – $200 value
- Lavishy wallet and coin purse made with biodegradable vegan leather, plus 2 $10 coupons for Nice Shoes
- Two Fur Bearer Defenders Gift Bags, each including a Fur Bearers’ t-shirt, membership to Fur Bearer Defenders, Lush beauty products, and other various goodies
- $50 gift certificate for yoga classes at Open Door Yoga Studio
- Lush Cosmetics Vegan Bath Product Gift Package – value $60
- Vegan Body Scrub and Soothe Massage Oil gift package
- Brandenburg “Arctic Wolf” Framed Poster Print
- Fro Bo Dog Water Dish with additional Freeze Core
- Giant Brown Cuddly Teddy Bear
- Pastel Designs Ceramic Tea Pot
- Ceramic Rooster Cookie Jar & Planter Set
- ‘Sweet’ gift card for Fairy Cakes with 4 coupons for: 6 cookies, 1 slice of cheesecake, soy latte, and fairy cake or sticky roll
- $30 gift certificate for Café by Tao Organics raw vegan restaurant
- Two $30 certificates for Graze upscale vegan restaurant
- Gift certificate for a vegan Chi Cake (vegan cheese cake)
- Two $10 gift cards for Gorilla Food raw vegan restaurant
- $20 gift certificate for Tera V Burger vegetarian fast food restaurant
- Gift Package of Zimt Artisan Chocolate Double Chocolate Vegan Macaroons
- Food Fight Grocery! tote bag of vegan snack foods
- Vega One All-In-One Nutritional Shake French Vanilla Powder + Shaker Cup
- 2 Assorted Vegan Food Gift Baskets
- “High Steaks: Why and How To Eat Less Meat” by Eleanor Boyle book
- “Gorilla Food” by Aaron Ash cookbook
- “Vegan for the Holidays” by Zel Allen cookbook
- “Practically Raw Desserts” by Amber Shea Crawley cookbook
Thank you to our prize sponsors:
b.pur Holistic Wellness Company, Café by Tao Organics, Cynthia Ganatra – Holistic Nutritionist, Daniel Redwood, Fairy Cakes, Feed Life, Food Fight! Grocery, Fur Bearer Defenders, Gorilla Food, Graze restaurant, HotHuck’s Veggie Foods, Lush Cosmetics, New Society Publishers, Nice Shoes, Open Door Yoga Studio, Sequel Naturals, Tera V Burger, Vegan Heritage Press, Vegan Vices, Zimt Artisan Chocolate
Animal Voices is Vancouver’s only program dedicated solely to animal advocacy and compassionate living. Each week on our show, we focus on various animal rights issues, provide tips on making cruelty-free choices, offer updates on animal related news and events, and interview guests who are at the forefront of animal activism and vegan outreach. Animal Voices is part of Vancouver Co-op Radio, a community supported not-for-profit organization. The show airs every Friday at noon on 100.5fm CFRO (www.coopradio.org) and our blog and all our past shows are available from our website www.AnimalVoices.org.